Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Discrimination for finding JOB


Back in 2013, I was applying for jobs in China and the employer said to me literally that they wanted a "white" and "western" looking person. I was shocked hy this. They did not see my qualifications or even where I am from, but rather just physically. I am Australin by my passport, raised and lived there all my childhood life all through after university and no one wanna hire me cuz I am Asian. 

I thought asian  discrimination was only in the West but it's in the East as well. I remember when I was in class at uni, my teacher said to all of us who are asians.. that we will need to try harder than our western counterparts cuz we are asians.. with asian names (no, i did not want to make a random western name just for the sake of it). The chances of us getting a job is cut by half. I guess he was saying the reality of it all so all of us were just shocked and sad at that time. Not one person said anything.

I just hope one day someone can see me for who I am and not just this Asian girl who has odd name that we can't pronounce. Why are people all so scared of meeting new people and finding new things? Employer loves to hire all the same homogeneous employee like a blonde guy with the name John Smith. He will get a lot of job offer than me even though he prolly didn't even go to school. I've been scrolling through jobs in Japan and stumbled upon an Asian American who got discrimated cuz of her looks as well in Japan. Her "Western" counterparts with less education and job experience can get a job anywhere cuz they are looking for "the western face". It is sad, really. How our world has some kind of white supremacy. Where the "white" are always better at everything. Why can't life be easy too for me. I've tried so hard and I don't know what is wrong with me.

Such ridiculous discrimination lives in our society. I hope one day this can change. I have been discriminated enough. In Indonesia (where I was born), people say I am Chinese. In China, they said I am an overseas Chinese and not "pure" Chinese. In Singapore (where I grew up for 3 years), they say I am Indonesian. In Australia (where I've been here more than my life),  they say I am Asian / Chinese / just simply shouting Ni Hao and Konichiwa. So where is my belonging?

No where. I am like a lost wanderer wandering to an unknown endless road. 

Ta,
Jeffcha

No comments:

Post a Comment